Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Two Eagles

Today, I saw two eagles. I saw the first one while Josh was at horse therapy and the second while driving. Today Josh rode Wikki -- a very slobbery and hairy horse. Up in a tall pine tree, right next to the trail we were on, sat a majestic eagle. I have never been that close to an eagle in the wild before. I felt a little honored and then I wondered what the eagle was looking at. It was the consensus of the horse therapy group that the eagle was scoping out some ducks in an adjacent yard. I felt sorry for the ducks -- they'd have no chance. I wondered if I should change my opinion on the majesty of the eagle, and then I thought, no, the eagle is still majestic and seeing him is still amazing. He is just doing what he needs to do to survive -- he is following the course of nature.

I thought about how I don't always focus on the beautiful part of life -- I just see the ducks about to be eaten. Often it is hard for me to look past the difficult parts.

For instance, today, Josh pooped in his pull-up while I was looking at shoes at Kohl's. This wouldn't normally be a big deal, but through some user error, I took the wipes out of my car and did not put them back. That oversight on my part led to a quick trip to Target that began with me picking Josh up off from the floor and putting him into a shopping cart. I think he weighs about 70 pounds now. I pick him up by grabbing the collar on his shirt and coat and then scooping him up behind his knees. I have to haul him up like this because when he doesn't want to do something, he lays on the ground like a dead fish.

After getting him in the cart, I tried to ascertain the quickest way from the front of the store to the baby section and the wipes. I'll admit -- I felt sorry for myself and a little embarrassed by the prospect of taking my 10 1/2 year old to the baby aisle to buy wipes. I normally just buy a case of them at Costco so it feels less sad. The other ladies on the aisle had a infant car seat attached to their carts with a cute small baby in them. I had a giant 2 1/2 year old in my cart who was trying to scratch all of the skin off from the tops of my hands. When I moved my hands to stop him from scratching, his next tactic was to try and pull things off from the shelves. Shopping is sometimes hazardous.

After purchasing some wipes and a couple of other things that I needed, I took Josh into the bathroom and changed him in a handicapped stall. He laid down on the floor. Gross, huh? It was the best idea I could come up with. He seemed happy to be clean again, and happily left the store.

So back to the eagle. Josh is who he is. He is naturally a little messed up in his head because of a lack of FMRP1 protein (I think that's what it is he's missing). I need to remember to see the majesty in him -- and not just the hand scratching and dead fish imitation. I think that would help me to be a happier me.

1 comment:

  1. Kristen, you are wise. I wish I had been with you at Kohls to give you some baby wipes so you didn't have to have that Target experience. Thankyou for reminding me to always look for the positive in life.

    ReplyDelete